Scenario: You have a test containing a number of questions. You wish to deliver to each student a randomized subset of those questions.
The way Bb Learn is designed, it's much easier to create questions in a pool, and then create a question set based on that pool when you build the test. Basically, this is the ideal workflow:
- Create a Pool.
- Build questions in the Pool
- Create a Test
- Add a question set, selecting questions from the Pool
However many faculty build questions in a new test, and then wish to deliver only a specific number of questions randomly selected from those. That's what this tutorial is about.
Here are the basic steps we're going to follow:
What is a Pool?
A Pool is basically a grouping of questions saved in your Question Database. You can create questions in a Pool, or grab them from another Pool, Test or Survey.
Create a new Pool
- Go to the Course Tools > Tests, Surveys and Pools > Pools.
- Select Build Pool
- Give your Pool a title, such as "Random Pool for Quiz 3" to help you find it again, then click Submit.
Pull the questions that exist in your test into that new Pool.
- Now select Find Questions.
- On the left side of the question browser, expand the area called "Tests" and find the test you're working on. Select the questions you wish to randomize, and click Submit.
- If the Pool has all the questions you want, click OK at the bottom of the screen.
Go back to your test and remove those questions
- Go to the Course Tools > Tests, Surveys and Pools > Tests.
- Access the test you want to randomize.
- Delete all the questions you just added to the Pool by checking the boxes next to those questions and selecting Delete at the bottom of the page. Don't worry, they will still exist in the Pool.
Add a new question set, based on the questions in your Pool.
- Click Reuse Questions at the top of the test canvas.
- Select Create Question Set.
- In the question browser, select Pools on the left-hand side and select the Pool you created for this test.
- Check the boxes next to each question you wish to add to your Question Set.
- Click Submit
Be sure to set the number of questions delivered and the point value per question once your Question Set has been created.